Pregnancy is generally a time of wonder and excitement; life is being created in every second of every day. You will experience new sensations and emotions that can be unfamiliar and difficult to explain or understand. Remember, this is your pregnancy, your body, your baby and your journey. We want you to feel happy, nurtured and safe. By ensuring your privacy and open communication your pregnancy care will remain focused on you and your baby’s needs. All information and education provided is non-biased and evidenced based, this ensures you can make informed decisions in regards to all aspects of your pregnancy care.
*Medicare and some Private Health Fund rebates available
*Bulk billing is available if you hold a current Health Care card
Your antenatal care is provided by either Lisa or Robyn in our private rooms which is close to local shops and customer parking is available. Although one of us will be your main midwife, we work closely together throughout your pregnancy so you will get to know both of us.
- The number of pregnancy visits you have can vary from 8 - 14 depending on circumstances and need.
- The Booking visit is a Bulk Billed appointment where we explain our models of care, fees and will review in depth any relevant medical and/or obstetric history.
- Mother and baby well-being are reviewed at all antenatal visits, this includes listening to your baby's heart beat, measuring your blood pressure and stomach growth as well as reviewing and ordering pathology tests or ultrasounds as required.
- Nutrition and physical preparation for the growing baby are discussed and recommendations will be given.
- A Maternity Care Plan visit occurs between 21 - 36 weeks of pregnancy. At this visit your pregnancy and birth expectations are explored in preparation of your personal birth journey.
- 24 hour phone call advice is available to all Home birth and Birth support Clients.
Contact Yarra Valley Midwives for further information
Labour & Birth Support
Yarra Valley Midwives provide hospital labour and birth support, either as part of your pregnancy care package or on it’s own. As registered midwives we are aware of the medical, expectations and indications when labour and birth may not be progressing as planned and assistance is required. Our goal is to nurture and protect your birthing zone, we can be your voice, your ears, your eyes and your strength when needed, this can allow your natural hormones and instincts to do what they do best for an amazing and empowering labour and birth experience.
Contact Yarra Valley Midwives to discuss if you would like hospital birth support
Labour and birth is a sacred and intimate experience between the woman, her baby and her chosen support. For most women pregnancy is a time of wellness and associated with positive outcomes. Studies prove maternity and birth care by a known midwife in your own home is associated with less need for pain relief, less intervention, more control with a sense of empowerment and a more positive birth experience with a high rate of normal birth outcomes.
If you are wanting or considering a home birth, Yarra Valley Midwives work in close partnership with mothers and families, collaborating with professionals at times to ensure you and your baby’s well-being and safety is a priority. Information given is evidenced based and all risks and benefits are thoroughly considered, A detailed birth sketch is created as the pregnancy grows with birth planning considerations and transfer strategies clearly documented.
Contact Yarra Valley Midwives to discus if you are suitable for a home birth.
Yarra Valley Midwives are there to help support your transition to motherhood with 6 weeks of postnatal care. The first week after birth we will visit you and your baby in your own home, then weekly or as often as you require in our rooms completing your care with the 6 week mother and baby check. At each visit your emotional and physical needs are reviewed, breastfeeding assistance is available and advice on normal newborn behaviour and settling techniques discussed. Your baby's growth, weight and development is monitored with education and assistance in transitioning to parenthood our priority.
Contact Yarra Valley Midwives for more information regarding postnatal care.
All appointments incure Medicare rebates